Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Is this progress - or progression to something else?

I made some headway on the car over the weekend.  Engine pulled and most of the other stuff has been removed from the engine bay.  Is this progress?  I guess that is relative to your perspective...





Then it was on to tackle the dash.  The dash removal was a bit more involved than I had thought, but I found a good guide that provided lots of insight to the job.  http://www.miata.net/garage/DashRmv_89_93.pdf

I still have some removal to complete and I still cannot believe the amount of wire in this vehicle.  I marked "most" of the wires - and need to go back to mark the rest.  The whole time in pulling the wiring connectors, I kept thinking - there has to be an easy way to eliminate the engine components from the body components - but the deeper I got, the less I believe that.  I am hopeful I can come up with a solution to this without rewiring the entire car.

I do plan on adding a separate relay bank for the cooling fans mounted into a box for more simple fan wiring - but that is down the road a bit.

Other stuff

Last night, I repaired the droopy eyeball vents with fresh felt (could not find velvet), so I used really thin felt. and also repaired the window toggle switches.
http://www.miata.net/garage/eyevent.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/powerwin/


1 comment:

  1. Hey it looks great man!! At this rate you are going to beat me to turn the key... :-)

    Love the dash PDF! I'm going to need that...

    I think the fan wiring could be one of the easier ones to make work. I just used the 2 Miata relays that are behind the passenger headlight. Mazda uses one fan and relay for A/C and the other set for cooling but I jumped them together so who ever asks for fan will trigger both relays. You do need to rewire the relays to trigger with B+ rather than ground because Mazda triggers them with ground and GM does it with B+. I have not taken the Mazda A/C switch apart to see if it would be easy to change the request signal from ground to B+ from it to the computer but I figured using a relay would be pretty easy to turn it around if need be. Of course I don’t actually know if any of the above works or not!

    Great to see the progress in your build! I hope you are having fun and thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete