Friday, July 26, 2013

Tranny News!

Well - no real good news - I need more parts...

I replaced the clutch because it was not in great shape 50% gone - hot spots on the flywheel and on the pressure plate. The slave cylinder wasn't in great shape either - OEM has a plastic sleeve? - I was shocked.  New one is steel.  included pilot and throw out bearings - Cha-ching - $525 please!

Transmission update - they cracked it open today - stuff it needs:

  • 3/4 shift fork (upgrading to steel) 
  • 3/4 synchro pack
  • 5/6 shift fork
  • 5/6 synchro pack
  • 5th gear
  • Bearings
  • Seals
  • Putting in billet keys while its open
The good news - it will be ready next week - The bad news - my wallet won't be...  $1200

For those working on their firewall.  The transmission was a bitch to get out with the bell housing, and ultimately I had to unbolt the clutch from the flywheel and drop it straight down.

The problem is that top bolt on the bell housing.  I don't know why the instructions are to cut the wide, but short relief in the firewall...  It should be longer, toward the back of the car, and doesn't need to be 4-inches wide.  Longer would enable that bolt to come out on-top of the bell housing and the transmission (with the bell housing) could come out as a unit.

I fixed it for any future tranny work on my car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment