Monday, August 26, 2013

The Boomerang Effect

Well, as my luck would have it...  The transmission is coming back out AGAIN.  I have had little time to drive the car, dodging the rain and other things going on.  Friday evening, me and my Son went for a drive - it was the second time I took the car up to 70+.  Along that ride, while in 5th gear, at ~70, all of a sudden, it felt like the drive shaft came out - a couple of kunks and some grinding.  I quickly pulled over and inspected under the car - did not see anything wrong - (neither of us had a cell phone).  I restarted the car and eased out in 1st, then 2nd, and limped to the garage - it now has a rubbing sound in the transmission...

UPDATE:  The reverse needle bearing assembly was trashed...  I assume one (some) of the bearings came out and through the gears.  Replaced bearing and main shaft.  I have it back, and hope to get it in by the weekend.  Repaired under warranty.

Can't cry over spilled milk...  Onward...
In the meantime, I have been thinking that I really want mechanical temp/oil pressure gauges.  I took the NB gauge cluster apart and sunk a couple of 1.5 inch mini gauges into the same holes where the Miata temp and oil pressure gauges were.  It looks pretty good - the colors are a little off - but it works for me...  Its completely reversible if I don't like it in the future...








1 comment:

  1. Head slap! Why didn't I think of that? OK next build you start first! LOL!!

    Really sorry to hear about the trans. The car sure looks great though!!! Let us know what they find and I really hope it's cheap!

    ReplyDelete